26 January, 2016
Digital tools for visiting museums, the central topic of the international seminar on February 15
The National Archeological Museum is organizing at Madrid the international meeting: “Digital tools for visiting museums: from audioguides to apps”. Technology companies and cultural institutions will come together to this event to discuss how mobile devices have integrate resources that enrich the visits to museums. They will also analyze the different challenges the sector will have to face in the coming years.
In the past three years, several international leading museums have gradually started to replace audio-guides for multimedia guides that incorporate the latest in digital technology (360º, 3D, augmented reality, virtual reality, beacons, etc.). Mobile devices offer the opportunity to enhance and extend the visit overcoming spatial, architectural, sensory or even temporary barriers. But what are the goals, challenges, common problems and the first responses to this kind of technological integration? These are some of the topics that will be discussed at the seminar, through this complete program:
– 10:00 h. Presentation – Andrés Carretero, Director of the National Archaeological Museum
– 10:15 h. Development of the multimedia guidance service for the National Archaeological Museum – MAN (2014-2016) – Dori Fernández, Head of Dissemination Department at National Archaeological Museum (Madrid).
– 10:30 h. The possibilities of Virtual Reality in museums from new technological developments: Walking with Gaudi y experiencia VR Tarraco – Miguel Ángel Ruiz, Director of Content and Services at Samsung Electronics Iberia, and Pepa Morillas, Managing Director at Gaudi Exhibition Center (Barcelona).
– 10:50 h. Understanding the digital journey during the museum visit – Elena Villaespesa, , Digital Media Analyst at Metropolitan Museum of Art (New York)
– 11:10 h. The Prado Museum’s new website: from the artworks to the user – Javier Pantoja Ferrari, Head of Digital Development at the Prado Museum (Madrid).
– 11:30 h. Coffee break.
– 12:20 h. Multimedia guides and apps project for visiting 13 Royal National Heritage Sites Elena González, Head of Museums at Patrimonio Nacional (Madrid).
– 13:00 h. Content management systems for creating your own visiting apps – Guillermo Seijo, Operations Manager at Museum of Memory and Tolerance (Mexico).
– 13:20 h. The impact that technology can have on the museum experience – Marco Antonio Castro Cosio, Manager of MediaLab – Metropolitan Museum of Art (New York).
– 13:40 h. Closing of the event and visit to the National Archaeological Museum.